Sunday, January 7, 2007

Day Two


10"x11", acrylic & grease pencil on wood

I have a number of wood panels prepared with gesso and a layer of bright-colored acrylic, in this case the bright yellow (which is a slightly cooler color than in this photo). I started this out as a sort of standard meandering ribbon painting with the phthalo green.

I watered some of it down and used a paper towel to smear it. It picked up parts of the thicker paint, and I decided to just go with it, creating an atmospheric blend over the yellow background. I started envisioning spores and bursts of growth, which in my mind come as orange circles, it seems. The orange is a photo marking grease pencil, which gives a nice smeary line.

I plan to clear-coat this piece to seal in the grease pencil and keep any more acrylic from scraping off.

No comments: