Saturday, January 27, 2007

Day Twenty-Two


24"x30", latex & oil on panel - in progress

I bought some latex enamel in this delicious green shade and coated a masonite panel with it. It dried fairly quickly, which enabled me to get right to it with a juicy mixture of cadmium red, transparent white, and a lot of bleached linseed oil. At this phase, the red areas are very streaky, but I will work them up to a uniform surface. Admittedly, I want them to be more volumetric and illusionistic, but this is a path I have to avoid for the time being.

Last night I had a dream that I hung a bunch of ropes around my studio, similar to Eva Hesse's rope piece. I spray-painted them silver or gold, and it was all an exercise in understanding how lines move in space and define it. Generally-speaking, I think it's a good idea to listen to one's dreams, so when I get my hands on some cord or wire, I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.

No comments: