Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Day Twelve (backposted)


24"x30" (?), acrylic on paper

This is the larger piece which I began on day 7 and continued to work on in passing.

I was especially interested in the ways the paint separated from a solid brown mixture into its constituents of phthalo green and cadmium red, which I suppose is to do with chemical properties of the two emulsions.

Personally, I found it rather poetic to use water in such a way, a diluent with the capability of separating a presumably stable mixture by immersing and extending it beyond the adhesive properties of acrylic resins. In my head, it was a bit of a conceptual metaphor, which I think also influenced some of the forms, which began to take on a primordial, narrative quality for me.

I think there is something in this type of work which is essential to who I am as a painter, but the confines of this semester and my thesis project may prevent me from thoroughly exploring it imminently. I'll probably keep up with smaller works though and see where it goes.

No comments: