Sunday, January 21, 2007

Day Sixteen (backposted)


9"x12", acrylic & permanent marker on paper

I returned to the yellow piece from day 11 and impulsively filled the spaces with turquoise magic marker. Compared with the original, I thought it became rather empty and dead.

I got into a lengthy discussion about this piece while I was working on it, and I went in with a thin raspberry marker, making the tiny circles as I attempted to defend it for having any kind of artistic value whatsoever. (Not a pleasant experience).

In the end, it reminds me of blood cells in capillaries or something vaguely organic, but it fails to take on the springing-forth quality of multitudes I'd imagined when I started, and I think the energy falls a little flat. When I look back at the progress shot, I much prefer the yellow by itself, which I think much more clearly conveys the things I was going for.

No comments: