Monday, January 22, 2007

Day Seventeen (backposted)


30"x40", oil on canvas - in progress

I started this painting thinking about blues. My boyfriend's mother had given me a wonderful tube of cerulean paint at Christmas, and I've been studying pigments in one of my art history classes. I used a rag to tint the canvas with a wash of cerulean, then pulled the French ultramarine to begin some kind of study in blue.

This canvas size is about the largest I'm comfortable working with right now, as it relates and corresponds to the body, allows for movement from the shoulder, and feels both expansive and compact to me.

I need to work out the appropriateness of scale in my markings such that the circles transforming into ellipses and mesh-like grids correlate with the canvas size and shape better.

I'm also a bit bothered by the way I've handled the French ultramarine, as it's close to its mass tone in the lower left and darker portions and losing the luminosity and brilliance for which I initially chose it.

No comments: