Thursday, January 18, 2007

Day Thirteen (backposted)


24"x24" oil on canvas - in progress

I started this piece by tinting the ground with titanium buff - a paint I received among my Christmas gifts - and that began suggesting muted colors to me. I turned to one of my favorite olive greens and originally just made an intertwining linear shape (remains of which are evident in the central portion) for the first pass.

When I came back to it, I'd been thinking about tropical plants from Costa Rica which grow with pink and green in the same leaves, and I was considering that color combination when I decided to intervene with a rosy color. I liked the brown that they produced in combination as well... though I haven't yet decided how I'd like the colors to end up in this piece.

As I've said, I'm becoming increasingly interested in modular elements coming together and the patterns that emerge within repetitive systems. Here I thought about circles and the way that the paint would modulate between outlining the circle or becoming the circle's edge. I'll have to find a way to make these ideas more apparent in the finished work so they don't just come off as effervescent and decorative.

No comments: