Sunday, February 11, 2007

Day Thirty-Seven


9"x12", marker on paper / detail view

In this piece I was thinking about the individual stitches in knitting, imagining many different colored rows forming a sort of dizzying fabric. I tried to relate the scale of the "stitches" to the size of the marker tips, though I still found a lot of variation within the strokes.

A few drops of water fell on this piece, creating blurs or sort of visual snags. Though I'm not wild about them, they do create an interesting effect that breaks up some of the austere monotony.

I do really enjoy working with marker on smooth Bristol paper, particularly the way it flows with just the right amount of absorption and no bleeding. I'd like to find a way to make paint handle with the same kind of comfort I find in drawing materials.

No comments: